All about us
Mr Smart established a builders in Duke Street, Littlehampton in 1850 providing funeral services to the local community.
The firm was acquired by Frederick Holland, who was known as Fred. Fred passed away in the 1930’s, aged 80.
Fred’s son, Eric George Holland, started trading as a stone mason and his brother Frank trained as a letter cutter. The firm became more specialised builders and did lots of work at Arundel Cathedral and on public highways.
During the early 20th Century the High Street Office was established, and in 1937, relocated to the Terminus Road offices which were newly built.
“F A Holland & Son occupied the Terminus Road offices from 1938. The original Littlehampton phone number was 138”
F. Holland was incorporated into E.G.Holland, who were one of the first local Funeral Directors to run a motor fleet. For years, the firm was well known for having a distinctive silver fleet.
During the Second World War, the company assisted with the victims of air raids and one day, in August 1940, after the Luftwaffe had struck at nearby Ford Airfield, there were 40 casualties in the mortuary.
“Hollands were responsible for the burial of many German airmen, who were shot down, or washed up from the sea.”
After the Second World War, Frank Albion Holland officially joined the firm. Together, the two sons developed the firm and became known as F. A. Holland, and later F. A. Holland & Son.
Frank was an innovator, developing the firm even further adding a modern mortuary and Chapel of Rest. In the 1960’s, a new funeral home was established on Merton Drive.
In 1950, Frank’s son Peter Frank Holland joined the firm.
This was F. A. Holland’s centenary year. The Funeral Services Journal (FSJ) wrote a piece about the influence F. A. Holland & Son had in the community, having erected memorials in almost every Churchyard in the county.
F. A. Holland has been known for a long time as “The West Sussex Funeral Directors”.
“F. A. Holland & Son have maintained a great reputation since they were established and are known locally as a quality Funeral Directors. We have carried out many funerals for the local community.”
In 1963, Frank Shepherd’s Funeral Directors on Jubilee Road, Chichester was acquired and renamed to F.A. Holland & Son.
In 1986, Peter Holland sold to CRS and then F. A. Holland & Son traded under the name Dovedale Funeral Services. At this time, offices were also opened in Selsey and in Worthing in 1990, which were originally a launderette.
In 1999, East Wittering was opened in what was originally a craft shop. F. A. Holland & Son traded under Glenhaven Funeral Services.
In 2005 the trading name was changed to FA Holland which led to a full scale refurbishment of the business.
In 2011, the Bognor Regis office of F. A. Holland was re-branded to Edward White & Son incorporating F. A. Holland.